Hello all. Here is my ‘Wild Things’ update article that appears in this Months “Bedford Clanger’ newspaper. Hope that you enjoy. X
By now hopefully a lot of you would have seen my new designs for ‘The Wild Things’ poster and flyer around town. For this months update I thought I would talk you through the images creation and- what us arty types call- ‘my process’.
Most of my designs start out as really scruffy and sketchy ‘thumbnail’s’ that are really quick doodles of the images I have in my head. Using thumbnails are a great way of getting the image on page (albeit a really rough version) and work out the composition and layout. I got the idea for have the tree’s branches form one of the creatures faces from this stage.
Once I was happy that the idea and layout were in place I got straight to work with drawing the image in my A3 sketchbook.
Now, this is the bit I slightly worry about telling people about as it sort of feels like cheating, but I very rarely draw the whole image as one completed piece on one single page. Instead I will draw each element on a separate page (as shown in the photos opposite) and then composite each drawing together on Adobe Photoshop.
There are many benefits to working like this. One is that if I make a mistake drawing one of the elements- the drawing of ‘Max’ for example- then it is not going to effect the overall image. I can just screw Max up and start him again on a fresh piece of paper.
Another benefit is that I can draw each element as big and as detailed as I like and shrink it down on the computer without loosing any of the overall drawn-line quality.
Anyway, once all of the individual drawings where completed I scanned them in to my computer and digitally cut out the background of the page (quite a tricky task with all of those pesky branches) before putting each image together to create one, final design.
The whole process took me around about 3 days (save for eating, sleeping and blinking).
Yikes, that was a little bit technical (apologies to all of digitalphobes!). Next month’s update promises to be more messy and anarchic as I will be creating costumes and sets with the very talented Matt Baker.
Hopefully I will also have some exciting behind the scenes ‘monster’ photos to tease you with as we continue to work away on what promises to be a really fantastic and hugely ambitious stage show.
(See the whole of the October issue of The Bedford Clanger online here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/108697189/Bedford-Clanger-October-2012)
- paolopianu likes this
- smilesonmyheart likes this
- sleepingwith-gh0sts likes this
- the-night-max-wore-his-wolf-suit reblogged this from tinkerd
- kaylamlwgs likes this
- keporan likes this
- heythiskylie likes this
- ohyesitskayla likes this
- dbfabian likes this
- thatsexyhealthygirl likes this
- lifeoftheowl likes this
- silentsandman likes this
- pingyenchou likes this
- fancylittlerobot likes this
- shewhoseeksfreedom likes this
- inanotherlife-whenwearebothcats likes this
- jamess-earring reblogged this from tinkerd
- jamess-earring likes this
- mariemoreau likes this
- strangerssketchbooks reblogged this from chloemcg
- never-again-to-wonderland likes this
- darkestofblue reblogged this from tinkerd
- just-being-alexa likes this
- sneakyferris likes this
- megustalabonita reblogged this from tinkerd
- worldoflildots likes this
- staytic-mind reblogged this from tinkerd
- ecvanzuylen likes this
- luispintos likes this
- rsbrsb likes this
- acupofchristine likes this
- stylusboy likes this
- moonraytea likes this
- moonraytea reblogged this from tinkerd
- weepingivy reblogged this from tinkerd
- falleri likes this
- rocker-of-sockz reblogged this from tinkerd
- monotonechild likes this
- bornonadaythesundidntrise reblogged this from tinkerd
- bornonadaythesundidntrise likes this
- wishes-on-a-dandelion likes this
- bananacasts likes this
- jahhdog likes this
- sophievm reblogged this from tinkerd
- thomaskastrati likes this
- atyclb likes this
- vitoriaguidugli reblogged this from tinkerd
- vangoghvanstop reblogged this from tinkerd
- stripsofneon likes this
- yumbathsalts likes this